HNAP: Returnee Overview 2020

HNAP: Returnee Overview 2020

Subject/Objective: 
The Returnee Overview for 2020, which covers data on returns within Syria from January to December 2020.
Key findings: 
In 2020, 368,001 returns were reported across the whole the Syria, 97 percent of whom have remained in their place of return. Rates of remaining have increased from 85 percent since 2019. 95 percent of 2020 returnees were displaced inside Syria while the remaining 5 percent arrived from abroad. The total number of annual returns is lower than that of 2019 (406,326) and much lower than that of 2018 (1,268,079).   In total, the majority of returnees (64 percent) returned to Non-State Armed Group (NSAG) – controlled areas. This is a significant shift from 2019, where only 12 percent returned to NSAG controlled areas, while 67 percent returned to the Government of Syria controlled areas. Similar to the previous year, the most important driver of return for those displaced within Syria was the improvement of the security situation in the location of origin (80 percent), followed by the worsening of the economic situation in the place of displacement (57 percent) and the need to protect assets and properties. For returnees from abroad, nearly half (47 percent) of which returned from neighboring Lebanon, the most important driver for return was the worsening of the economic situation in the place of displacement (81 percent), followed by the need to protect assets and properties (68 percent), and cultural ties (51 percent). Findings further demonstrate that despite significant economic motivation to return, returnees are not immune to the economic crisis occurring across Syria. Indeed, the highest priority needs for returnees are livelihood assistance (53 percent), followed by access to basic services (49 percent) and food assistance (45 percent). 84 percent of returnees own their current shelter, 7 percent are renting, 7 percent are hosted for free and 2 percent are squatting. Of note, 6 percent of returnees are currently living in damaged shelters,
Assessment Report: 
Publicly Available
Assessment Questionnaire: 
Available on Request
Assessment Data: 
Available on Request
Countries: 
Turkey
Assessment Date(s): 
01 Jan 2021 to 06 Jan 2021
Status: 
Report completed
Population Type(s): 
IDPs
Cluster(s)/Sector(s): 
Turkey Cross-border: Inter-Cluster Coordination
Leading/Coordinating Organization(s): 
Other
Location(s): 
Syrian Arab Republic